Hard Chrome Plating
Hard chrome plating demonstrates excellent hardness and lubricity, and is the premier engineering choice to reduce friction, minimize wear and prevent galling. These characteristics are applicable for critical engineering applications, including: machine tool cutting surfaces, cylinder bores, strut rods, crankshafts and hydraulic shafts. Hard chrome is also applied to molds because of its low surface energy and resultant release properties. EMF can hard chrome plate steel, aluminum, or copper materials, as well as many exotic alloys. In cases where parts require other finishes in addition to hard chrome, EMF can selectively apply electroless nickel or other finishes.
Note: There are two distinct types of chromium plating
- Bright chromium plating (decorative)
- hard chromium plating (engineering)
EMF supplies standard hard chrome and thin-dense chrome plating AND decorative chrome plating.
APPLICATIONS OF INDUSTRIAL HARD CHROME:
- Automotive: pistons, shock absorbers and other parts that see high cycles over long periods of time are hard chrome plated for durability and lubricity.
- Firearms: interiors of gun barrels are hard chrome plated.
- Aerospace: landing gear components are hard chrome plated in both OEM and MRO applications. Aluminum piston heads are hard chrome plated to offer optimal performance with minimal weight. Actuator components are hard chrome plated to reduce wear and extend service life.
- Machine Tools: drills, taps, dies, extrusion screws and rolls are hard chrome plated to extend life and improve performance.
- Gears: hard chrome plating prevents galling and extends life in low-friction applications.
- Salvage: hard chrome plating can be used to restore worn parts to their original dimensions or bring mis-machined parts into tolerance.
- Plastic Molds: hard chrome plating provides anti-stick/release properties for plastic molds across all industries.
EMF offers industrial hard chrome plating services to NASHIK.
Other Advantages of Hard Chrome
The practical wear and corrosion advantages of hard chrome are what makes it so popular, but there are advantages that make it even more appealing:
- It can be applied to a wide range of metals, including stainless steel, copper, brass and more
- Can be applied at low temperatures, meaning little effect to the substrate metal
- Is suitable for complex and irregular geometries, including holes and bores
- Adherence is excellent, meaning little risk of de-lamination or flaking during use
When you add all of these advantages up, you’re getting a quality chrome finish that reduces operating costs and minimizes downtime thanks to the improved wear resistance, hardness and corrosion response of your plated parts.
EMF PROCESSING INC. HARD CHROME PLATING CAPABILITIES
Typical Plating Thickness Range is 1 - 2000mic MM MIC . For information on plating over, please contact EMF, Inc.
Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief: parts with a hardness of 36 Rc or greater will be baked a minimum of 3 hours at 375° F to relieve entrapped hydrogen
PROPERTIES OF INDUSTRIAL HARD CHROME
Hardness: Plated chromium is extremely hard. A conventional bath will yield a Vickers diamond pyramid hardness of 900-1200.
Very Low Coefficient of Friction: Hard chrome plating offers extended wear life and exhibits excellent release characteristics in mold applications.
Appearance Benefits as Well
On top of the practical and empirical benefits of hard chrome, it also provides a bright and appealing finish, making it suitable for parts that will be visible or on display. An even smoother finish can be achieved by grinding and polishing, making our hard chrome plating ideal for ball bearing and sliding guide applications as well.
It’s easy to see why more and more PA industrial customers are turning to our team here at Hard Chrome Specialists for our advanced chrome plating services. Fill in our contact form or give us a call and we'll get started studying your project and understanding the unique requirements of your products and materials. We can adapt out industrial chrome plating at our PA facility to handle any job, so let's get started today!